Chances are that if you've found your way to this article then you are interested in leading a greener, eco-friendlier lifestyle, and let me just give you a quick round of applause for that! 👏🏼
Saving the planet doesn't have to be hard, and you do not have to drastically change your daily routine to make a difference. Saving the planet is simply about all of us becoming more mindful of the little things we do throughout our day. Without further ado, here are 5 simple things you can do today to help save the planet.
#1. Conserve Water & Electricity
By conserving your use of water and electricity in your home you can massively help the environment by cutting down on resource use, as well as save yourself some serious cash on your water and light bills every month. 🤑
Cutting back on the amount of water and electricity you use conserves the worlds energy and helps diminish the greenhouse gas effect. Here are some tips to conserve water and electricity at home:
- Turn the tap off while brushing your teeth! Turning the tap off while brushing your teeth can save 5 gallons of water per day.
- Take shorter showers. Shortening your shower by just 2 minutes can save 10 gallons of water! You can also purchase a low flow shower head for your shower which will cut down on water waste. 💦 You can purchase one from Nebia, their company is committed to conserving Earth's water supply, and their shower heads save 65% more water than the average shower!
- Use energy efficient light bulbs such as LED or halogen lights. They have been proven to use 75% less energy, plus you'll save anywhere between $60-100 annually on your light bill. That's what I call a win-win.
- Turn your electronics off overnight and turn the lights off when you are leaving a room. It's simple, only use what is necessary.
#2. Shop Sustainably
By practicing sustainable shopping habits you are recognizing that everything you buy has an impact on the environment and society. Some tips to shop sustainably:
- Choose to buy environmentally friendly, natural products. Stay away from harsh chemicals in your cosmetics and cleaning products.
- Opt for the local produce, it's usually not wrapped in unnecessary plastic and you'll be supporting a farmer in your area. This reduces your carbon footprint because your food does not have to travel far to get to your table. Plus, the locally grown vegetables and fruit are always way fresher.
- Bring a reusable cotton or hemp bag whenever you go shopping.
#3. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
I know, you've heard this a million times, but that's because it works. Reducing, reusing, and recycling our goods keeps materials out of land fills and results in less hazardous waste that contribute to greenhouse gas emissions. Here are some easy ways to increase your RRR's:
- Cut down on your use of single use plastics by opting for reusable options, this will save you money over time and you'll have some pretty awesome gear to show off to your friends. You can have the greatest impact by purchasing a reusable mask, water bottle, thermos, shopping bag, and cutlery.
- Check with your local recycling depot to ensure that everything you use can be recycled in your area. According to National Geographic, 91% of plastic is not recycled.
- Purchase products made from recycled materials, this will encourage the change you want to see in the consumer industry.
#4. Eat Consciously
Being aware of where your food comes from and how much resources such as land and water it utilizes can be extremely efficient in helping to save the planet, plus, it'll keep you healthy!
- Cut down on your meat intake. According to GreenPeace, the meat industry is the leading cause of deforestation every year, with the land being cleared for agriculture. Plant-based options require less resources to produce. You can start by participating in "Meatless Mondays" - you'll save the forests from burning and you'll learn to cook a new dish to impress your s.o.😉
#5. Plant a Tree
Trees are the biggest plants on the planet, they provide us with oxygen, store harmful carbon from the atmosphere, and clean our soil. They are essentially the glue that ties all of us living beings together. We cannot survive without them, and we are losing them at alarming rates.
- Planting a tree is a fun activity, and you'll be saving the planet! You'll get to watch it grow for years, and maybe it will become a home for a local feathery or furry friend.
- If getting down and dirty isn't your thing, we got you. 😏 OurForest plants a tree every time you browse online, for free. This means that you can save the planet without changing a thing in your daily routine. We all browse the web every single day, so why not plant trees while you do it?
OurForest conveniently helps you achieve all 5 of these simple things to save the planet, without leaving the comfort of your couch.
You can plant a tree right now while searching the web by simply installing our browser extension. Click here to download. At OurForest we believe that sustainable shopping and saving the planet go hand in hand, and that it should be easy to save the environment in 2020.
We are reforesting our planet one tree at a time, and we need your help to make this possible. Join our community and let's save planet Earth, together.